Re: This is your brain on jazz -- MRI studies of improvisation

Brilliant comment. We often do what comes natural to us, and few of us are
masters at everything. We prioritize our efforts, weighed against our
strengths. I feel at home improvising in total free form.  Ask me to sit
down and transcribe a Charlie Parker solo, and I will fight tooth and nail
against it. It's torture for me. I could learn it by ear, but still for me
get no satisfaction anymore from copying other peoples' material....not
even
my own!  I once quite an original band I led, because I started to feel
like
we were a cover band of our own material. That sickened me so much that
soon
after I disbanded the group and started to explore more improvised
music...first structured, idiomatic, and then eventually I jumped off the
deep end completely.

Kris