Re: OT: compensation (WAS Re: Looping venue help)

Maybe, maybe not.  There's plenty of artists who have that great debut album, which is distilled from five years of writing, while holding down a day job, and then they taper off once they "go pro".  Plus, I'd be spared the likes of Maroon 5...

Musicians like to think that being a musician is "special" and should be specially rewarded, and maybe music is special, but in the marketplace, it's a good or service like any other, and it's worth what other people are willing to pay.  And that's obviously not much, what with supply way outstripping demand.