Re: (Derek Baily) Improvisation (TV)

Out of my own curiousity, once you do learn how to play a part on your bass, what do you do with it then? How does it improve your improvisation skills? I'm assuming you don't copy what you learn, as that isn't actually improvising.  In short, if you are not actually copying anthing, notes, approach, etc, what is it that you learn that helps you be a better improvisor?

I'll have to be careful here, because we may also be confusing two types of improvisation, which Bailey and others have discussed. I just have done this a long time ago in this thread. I apologize.  One type of improv is totally free and spontaneous improvisation; the other is where players memorize morifs, cliches, phrases, etc - all a part of their bag of tools and tricks - and then they re-apply those bits and pieces in an improvisational setting. But there is no "creatio ad nihilo" in this latter context; rather the improv is in the application of the pre-learned tools, not creating completely new things on the fly.  I am more interested in the spontaneous form of improv.

Kris