Re: Derek Baily Improvisation TV

Interesting debate, for sure, especially as transcription is a widely
used tool. I'll repeat my belief that transcription does improve ear
training. However, I'm not talking about necessarily notating it - I
should have made that distinction; my definition of transcription means
listening to music and transferring it to one's own instrument. Notation
on paper is a laborious step that doesn't directly address the ear
training that I think is the main benefit. The hour it'd take to notate
a tune may be better spent learning to recognize quickly what's going on
in five or six other tunes.

I'll notate difficult rhythms sometimes to know precisely what is going
on. Easier for me to hear a minor sixth chord than a group of seven at
high tempo.

I agree that all kinds of ways of ear training are possible, and I do
not think transcription has to necessarily be part of that. I literally
refused to do it at school (being focused on building an encyclopedia of
licks), it's only since then that I've done it, somewhat informally, and
believe I'm seeing some benefit.

I hate "licks". Even the word. Don't get me started on avoid notes.. :-D

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com