Re: Derek Baily Improvisation TV

I don't think these are two fundamentally different understandings. As
with homicide, it's all in the intent. Transcription without a doubt
improves ear training, which is crucial for improvisation. I do it all
the time myself, informally when listening to music, trying to nail the
chord progression and picturing the melody on the fretboard, then going
to the guitar and seeing how correct I was. Every once in a great while
I'll write out the rhythmic values.

Now, during my time in music school I was constantly harangued to
transcribe things in order to "learn a lick and then practice it in all
12 keys". I felt then, and still feel, that this is a terrible approach
to improvisation. Stringing pre-fab phrases together...ack. What good is
that going to do anyone, except to make it seem as if you have an
understanding of music you actually don't, and have ideas you don't? I
simply refused this approach (didn't help my grades).

My feeling is that, if you can hum a little melody, you can improvise.
Practice should be oriented toward making it so that playing your
instrument is easy as humming; the goal is that all thought should go
into the music you want to hear coming out, not the technical task of
playing the instrument.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com