Re: attitude

>Also to David for reference. I'm the violinist on the Blues for
>Allah project of years ago with Joe Gallant

Were you at the Knit gigs?  Then we met!

>I think we met once or twice, and have many friends in common.

Do you know Grisha Alexeev?  (I think that's his last name - drummer)
I really liked that guy.  And his wife, Diana(?) - great folks.

>I'm a New Yorker, and as such have played more gigs than I can count
>at the Knitting Factory for 3 people or less.  I've gotten unreal
>fees which are sometimes embarrassing, and have worked with great
>artists on all 'levels' of the visibility spectrum.  I've had a band
>which was very successful with a budget in the 6 figures, and now,
>on my own, am humbled by low fees once again. I play for free
>sometimes as well, and never complain unless I've been hired without
>my knowledge as audio wallpaper.

I don't even mind doing those gigs, as long as I know ahead of time
that that's what it is.  Any opportunity to stand up and play is an
opportunity to improve your shops, marketability, and/or character.

>when I'm engaged in bringing folks together around a common enjoyed
>experience and goal, even for a moment, it pays more than money. I'd
>assume it is very much the same for most of us.  Should we artists
>get paid to do that?

In a perfect world, hell yes!

--

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730