Re: harmonizer plugin

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM, rune fagereng <rune_fagereng@yahoo.no>
wrote:
> Hi !
>
>  Are there any harmonizer plugins out there?  I hope to replace my
>eventide harmonizer with a plugin. I uses Ableton - Mac and Sooperlooper.
>
>  Rune F.

I doubt it is possible to come near the Eventide with just one
plug-in. But you can do it with a combination of plug-ins and some
creative signal patching between plug-ins. Before you sell that
Eventide, be sure to analyze how your favorite patches are programmed!
I did that with my TC Fireworx and it gave me inspiration for years of
effect patch building in software. I also took some ideas from the
Eventide Eclipse. Below I'm listing OS X plug-ins I'm finding
particularly useful in emulating these kind of sounds.

Apple (all comes free with the system):
AU Pitch (very good pitch-shifting), AU Matrix Reverb (descent digital
reverb), filters: bandpass, hipass, lowpass, shelf. AU
MultibandCompressor (if you need that)

Expert Sleepers:
Crossfade Loop Synth

MDA:
RoundPan (free AU)

Michael Norris:
The SpectralMagic suite (free AU bundle)

Cycling 74 Pluggo:
Speedsifter ("strings" sound), Rye ("strings" sound), Feedbackmachine
(noise from nothing)

PSP Audioware:
PSP MD 608 (Awesome tone coloring reverb and multi tap tape delay
simulation AU. This is my favorite reverb). Nitro (good for dynamic
filterbanks sounds).

Some plug-ins may induce latency when used with a real-time input (for
example Nitro). Then you have to put the plugin inside an all wet
signal loop and merge it with your instruments direct signal later
down the (patch)road.

Something very nifty that is used in Eclipse and such boxes is an
Envelope Follower function. I don't know any  plug-in that does this
but if using Bidule there are many community provided modules. Maybe
you can export such a Bidule module as AU and open it as an AU plug-in
in Ableton Live. Typically let the input level (= your playing)
control feedback parameters in the effect chain to create "infinite
reverb/delay/loopers" etc.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen