Re: Merging KP3 Loop Layers

Yes, that's definitely an option, and one I haven't played with as I've only been using the new OS for about a week now - Thanks for the reminder, though.

What I was more hoping for was an option that would disable the source banks AND current effect as soon as overdub sampling to a new bank was completed...

~c

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Ben <benoitruelle@yahoo.fr> wrote:
Isn't it possible with the new OS to put the volume of D to zero? And then crossfade A,B,C <-> D with the edit function to keep a constant volume?

Ben.

----- Original Message ----- From: <holotone@gmail.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:46 AM
Subject: Merging KP3 Loop Layers

A consistent problem I've had ever since I've began using a Korg KP3 as my
primary compositional and looping tool is the tricky business of merging
separate layers. As you may know, the KP3 has 4 sample banks, all of which
by default loop beautifully. When it comes to, say, merging Banks A, B, and
C over to the D bank (to free up the space for more layering), the typical
approach I've always taken is entering "Sample All" mode (shift+Sample),
selecting bank D while A, B, and C are playing, and recording them as merged
on D. The rub, of course, is that banks A, B, and C continue to loop AFTER D
completes the merge, meaning I have to be lightning quick simultaneously
disabling banks A, B, and C JUST after D finishes it's record cycle (to
avoid a "drop" at the end of D's merged version) while simultaneously not
letting A, B, and C continue playing as D starts up (which results in the
same sound being played over the top of itself, with 2x the volume and 2x
the distortion). I've gotten pretty good with practice, but there's always
that perceivable microsecond "jump" in level and distortion when merging, as
I tend to err on the side of safety to avoid the aforementioned "drop".

Is there some feature I'm overlooking that will selectively stop the source
sample banks playing the moment the merged version begins, or am I just
going to have to keep on with practice, practice, practice?

Thanks!

--
~cole
http://holotone.net/