Re: HOW MANY LOOPS DO YOU USE SIMLUTANEOUSLY?

Quoting Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com>:

> How many loops do us use simultaneously?

Thus far, I have used up to four stereo loops at once.

> And why?

1) Routing possibilities

I can route independent loops to different positions in the surround-field.

2) Echo possibilities

I like to play to multiple loops of different lengths with zero
feedback (plays back only once).  For example, if one loop is four
measures long and another is eight measures long, and if one is panned
left and the other panned right, then my signal plays from the left
four four measures and then from the right for another four measures.
Thus, I can construct three voice canons.

3) Reverse layering possibilities

I can "unlayer" a loop part by part rather than being forced to
unlayer (fade out) everything at once.

I use multiple loops to "spread out" the material across the loops.
As the number of loops increase, the amount of material on each loop
tends to decrease to avoid what I call a "grey" effect.

The "grey effect" is inspired from water color painting.  If you mix
one or two colors you can get interesting effects but when too many
colors are mixed it just turns a non-descript grey.  When I put
together looping works, I struggle to maintain the independence of the
parts.  To maintain clarity is a constant challenge.

-- Kevin