[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: film music rights,icensing etc.(OT).

Hi Per,
Thanx,wow i am realising it is a bit of a complicated
situation...but as i said we are the record label with
our bass player being the representative,but none of
the band members received a copy of this document from
her,thats why i cannot be more clear about it.At the
time i was too busy with the music side of it and
wasn�t concerned or thinking on any of this.In any
case since the productions have practically all of my
arrangements and original works and i was given the
masters,ive been told as you say that i am the
owner.My confusion is precisely that,recording
rights,record label,master owner.But i am pretty sure
that as we signed the document to give our bass player
the power to represent there wasnt any time specified
or any obligations with our own label.

--- Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 3:32 AM, L.A. Angulo
> <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Last but not least all of my songwritting is
> > registered with the GEMA here in germany which is
> like
> > ASCAP or BMI.
> > So my question is,
> > do they still have to get a license from me(or our
> > label or producer) even if i am not the original
> > songwritter of this song?
> If you by "they" mean the guys that make this movie
> the answer is yes,
> because we are talking about two  different legal
> rights connected to
> the music.  The film producers need to get a license
> from the composer
> (what you call "the original songwriter"), but this
> is only one side
> of it, the composer's right to the work (which can
> be represented by a
> publishing company or GEMA as in your case). The
> other side is the
> rights connected to the recording of the music and
> these rights you
> have not yet clearly told us who owns. Recording
> rights are originally
> owned by the performers, "the artist", and to make
> it legally possible
> for a record label to mechanically multiply the
> recording and sell it
> on the market the label needs to get a license from
> the
> artist/performer/performers, typically fixed in a so
> called "artist
> contract" (since it also deals with the label being
> given permission
> to use the artists name as "a brand" and finally
> also dealing with how
> future income shall be shared). So you need to check
> out who now owns
> the recording rights. You? The label (which maybe IS
> you?)? The
> "former label representative" bass player? Since you
> say you own the
> master my guess is that you are the legal owner of
> recording rights?
> -- 
> Greetings from Sweden
> Per Boysen
> www.boysen.se (Swedish)
> www.looproom.com (international)


Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.