Re: OT Need advice: Compact Flash Cards for Audio storage

On Jan 23, 2008, at 2:56 AM, Rick Walker wrote:
I purchased an M Audio Micro Track 2  Portable Audio recorder today
to begin recording all of my concerts on my upcoming European tour
and the guy who sold it to me said that he used a 4 gig Compact Flash card
with it which, he said,  gave him the ability to record two live concerts sets
on it without dumping memory onto a computer.

found ones that cost $21.99
and ones that cost $89.99

Is there a huge difference between these? Are there things to be worried about in buying CF cards? Things to avoid?

Do you all think it would be better to buy a couple of 2 gig cards instead of
one 4 gig card?

Hey Rick

Congrats on your upcoming European tour. Will NORAD be tracking the yellow flash across the continent?

Two concerns I thought of :   If you rely on one 4GB card only...and somehow lose it, ... ALL is lost. These little cards are easy to lose or misplace without diligent care and awareness of where they're kept/ stored. At least in my case. With two cards it can still happen, but you could store one safely while moving on to the 2nd, etc.... I'm sure you catch my drift.

The 2nd concern is with price and counterfeits. I got 3 cards last year from Techno Market (email: technologyuniverse@yahoo.com), supposedly out of La Habra, CA. They sold for a great price. But 2 of the cards didn't format, and while I did get a pleasant email w/ an offer to return them for replacement, once sent off, I never could get a reply again. A rip-off because they were 1) counterfeit and 2) never replaced as promised.

So I'd say get OEM (Orig. Equipment Mfgr) CF cards. Even if it costs a bit more. I'd question the $22 for a 4GB.SanDisk does make fine cards  - I use pricegrabber.com for comparison shopping.

And finally, the write speed may make a difference( ie 40x vs 80x) in your specific app (and cost), not just the capacity in GB.

Safe Travels,  Happy Drum & looping!