AW: 5 Things I'd like to see in 2008

> Why analog output gain? On stage there will never be a
> problem to controll output level digitally with your
> software, I don't see any advantage or even difference...

The question here did not specifically refer to onstage use (for onstage
use, the requirement for some kind of remote control is normally not
necessary, as you point out). But even for control of these levels: take
e.g. the RME Fireface series, which (with otherwise great specs) don't have
level control for the ouputs after the converters - which means you need to
use a separate device, if you do (for some reasons) plug directly into the
PA. Also, for considerations regarding my home setup, the lack of that
control was a showstopper for the Fireface, because I want to have that
master volume knob for my nearfields in easy reach and don't want to have
the cables going to the nearfields running all across my desktop.

Good examples, on the other hand, include the Presonus Firestudio (optional
remote) and the TC Konnekt48 (remote supplied), or even the Marian UCON
(software-controlled gain stage).

> rs@moinlabs.de schrieb:
>  > I mean "roadworthy" in the sense of going on the road as a
> musician.
> Roadworthy for me is that you can pack it safely to carry it
> around with as little weight as possible... (Thats probably

Roadworthy for me is this:
http://www.digitallogic.ch/fileadmin/dlag/files/Produkte/Datasheets/MPC/8142
00DS_D.pdf

Protection class IP65 (completely sealed, protected against particles,
submerging in water and heavy water jets) operational temperature -40 to
85°C, 16/150G vibration/shock proof.

If I drop that off a table or somebody pours beer over it, it'll still
work.
My instrument (whichever one I play just at that moment) is better
protected, simply because I always have it close to my body.

        Rainer