Re: Mastering Aid was Re: AW: Powered Subs...on to mastering

At 5:17 PM -0500 1/7/08, mike@michaelplishka.com wrote:
>Mid last year I experimented with and started using Har-Bal.
>http://www.har-bal.com/
>
>It's pretty cool and has elminated those, "I tried it here and it was
>great but there it sounds blah" situations. Once I've dialed in the
>curves, I've yet to pop it into my car or any other sound system, and it
>not sound right.

Thanks for the tip, Plish!  Unfortunately, Har-Bal isn't released for
Mac yet, so I'm going to have to find one of my old PC lappies.  No
biggie, but I'm going to have to spend an evening digging through
boxes.

As it turns out, just last night I received the CD pressing with the
aforementioned track on it.  I'm not entirely satisfied with the way
it turned out, but I think that's more to do with the fact that what
I submitted was mostly unmastered.  It was for a compilation, and I
usually leave the mastering on compilations to whoever is assembling
it, so that they can make the disc more unified as a whole.
Unfortunately, it looks like almost everyone else turned in mastered
tracks with the loudness maximized up to the moon.  Mine sounds a
little pale side-by-side with those.  :P

Looks like I gotta do some more work on this one before releasing it
as an MP3.  With any luck Har-Bal will help.

Thanks again!

        --m.
--
_____
"the wind in my heart; the dust in my head...."