Re: Laptop live looping (new issue)

Ariel asked what Todd, Kris and I are using, laptop wise for looping.

I am assuming you were referring to me,  Ariel.   If not,  please take the
following
with a grain of salt.

The answer is that I had fully intended to get into a laptop solution
this year but I have been very, very happy with the Looperlative
and with a new solution using a DTar 2 channel microphone preamp
that allows me eliminate the weight of a mixer for my big tour
destined for later this year, so I've changed my mind.

One salient reason was that I have a ton of work to book this tour
but have to leave by the start of May so I just didn't think I"d have
time for the learning curve of changing paradigms.

If, however,  I was to make a switch, I would
go with one of two setups:

1)   Running Plogue Bidule with several instances of Mobius and several
VST
effects,  all controlled by
an RME sound card interface (the 400, I believe was in my price range)
with
either an FCB 1010 midi floor controller
or, if I could afford it,  a Gordius midi floor controller (which has a
consdierably smaller stage footprint----the FCB being
uncomfortably large for my tastes.

orrrrrrrr.

2)   Max/MSP using a variation of the incredibly cool looping system that
Jeff Kaiser has innovated with that software
(using the same interface and controllers)

Though I resent the hell out of what I consder to be price gouging on the
part of APPLE for their MacBook Pros (charging $800
extra just so you can get a decent video card is shameful imho)   I think
would invest in one
because you can do all of your internet connections with no fear of
viruses
and spyware on the Mac OSX side of the computer
and then have your choice of musical software on either the WINDOWS XP
side
or the Mac OSX side of the computer.

In this way it would be a perfect solution for travelling (where you need
be connected to the internet but you don't want
your musical computer software to be compromised by all the people who
hate
Bill Gates with a passion).

All said and done, though........................I'm no expert.
Ask
Kris Hartung and Jeff Kaiser.............they know the poop.

Good luck and please think about coming to Y2k8 as our very first
Argentinan
looper, mi amigo!!!!!

Happy New Years,
Rick