Re: Laptop live looping (new issue)

On Jan 7, 2008 7:09 PM, Chris Sewell <lunamusic@mac.com> wrote:
> In the last 5 months I have embraced the Laptop as the core of my
> setup. Hardware effects and devices no longer seem that enticing to me.
> However, If my bookings stay at the level I am at now, I could be
> playing close to 140 gigs this year. Some of these last 4 hours. I
> sense the Macbook Pro is very solid and stable. I am just concerned
> that I might be asking more of it then it will be able to deal with.
> Has anyone else dealt with a similar workload with a Laptop on stage?
> Thanks
> Chris

No. But since it will evidently go belly up at some point in the
future you may as well buy your next laptop already today and keep
handy with the same stuff installed. Wo when the bad mojo hits you one
night on stage you can simply swap it while chatting for a minute with
the audience. Hmm... maybe a too expensive advice for MB Pro users.
But be sure to pick up the insurance (AppleCare Protection Plan). I
took one on my old PowerBook and the week before the prolonged three
year period ended I brought it in for service and had a brand new
motherboard installed completely for free. I did not buy such an
insurance for the studio G5 I bought five years ago and when the
motherboard crapped out I had to put up the dough myself because it
provided the base for my modest income. I was stupid to think I was
smart saving up on that money.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen