Re: edp microkorg sync help

On Jan 7, 2008 3:23 PM, phillip wilson <phillwilson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi all.
>
>  I just wanted to tell the list that I took all the advice given to me on
> syncing the echoplex to a micro korg onboard  and sat over the new year
> learning mor abot midi and using it to control things.
>
>  I now have a really useful korg - edp setup where I can drum in a live
> pattern from my roland hand sonic to the edp, as soon as this loop is
> complete the edp generates midi clock based on the tempo i just drummed
>in ,
> i can then move on  to the micro korg and add layers of  beautiful synced
> melodies!! yes!!!!!

Cool! That's my favorite (technical) looping setup as well; "setting
the global sync reference by the length of the first recorded loop". I
used it in hardware with an EDP+Repeater setup, with a laptop looper +
TC Electronics FireworX setup and today with an All Laptop Setup
(Mobius + VST plug-ins).

Something I like a lot, in such a self syncing rig, is to abruptly
create a new master sync loop of a new length and thus forcing all the
marching legions to turn for a new target. With the Repeater this
action was particularly nice since the machine couldn't handle all
that time-stretching on the spot and needed almost five seconds to
gradually catch up with the new tempo. Wonderful!

With Mobius in Bidule all the synced processing hit the new tempo
right on. When using delays and reverbs a lot there is a vague
"accelerandi effect", but not as the real thing in the Repeater.

With Logelllop on Mac there is no possibility to sync VST effect
plugins (yet...). But on the other hand Logelloop has an awesome
default (also Max built) effect in the Granulaterre. It's a granular
sampler and step sequencer that you can feed with an audio input. Play
anything and hit the Record a Sample button/pedal on one particular
note/sound and this sound will instantly start to circulate in the
sequence you have running in Granulaterre. Different sequences can be
called up by foot pedals, so you can have one for "Hellish Whole Note
Drone", another one for "Sparse Dub Hit Minor Chord" or whatever...
I'm now working on a set of Granulaterre presets that goes well with
improvising any kind of chord change pattern. As for the off sync, or
poly rhythm, trick the Granulaterre can either sync to the main eight
track looper or you can Tap Sync it from a pedal into a completely
different tempo. Now, there's some exciting territory to explore...

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)