AW: 5 Things I'd like to see in 2008

> Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill schrieb:
> > * the perfect audio interface: halfrack, USB2, bus-powered plus
> > dedicated power supply (it's well ok if the micpres don't
> work if it's
> > bus-powered), 4 mic inputs (hybrid solidstate/tube pre), at least 8
> > analogue ins and 8 analogue outs plus headphone outs,
> TOSLINK, SPDIF
> > (opt/coax), 2xMIDI I/O, software-controlled gain stages for
> (mic) ins
> > and outs, for the input HP and limiter, four SW channelstrips and a
> > stereo ('prolly surround) finalizer, standalone operation
> (fully MIDI-controllable) and bluetooth (see above).
>
> For me it exists already, though can't afford it, the RME FW
> 400, it has almost all of the above (only two mic pre's) but

Ok, let's check the Fireface400 against my requirements:
halfrack                ok
USB2                    X
bus-powered             ok
sps                     ok
4 micpres               X
hybrid pres             X
8x analogue I/O ok
headphones              ok
TOSLINK         ok
SPDIF                   ok
2xMIDI          ok
s/w contr. pre  ok
s/w contr. out  X
input HP/lim    X
4 channelstrips X
finalizer               X
bluetooth               X

No, doesn't work.
BTW, which are the interfaces currently available which have a s/w (or
remote) controllable analogue output gain stage?
I can think of TC Electronics Konnekt48 (remote, included) and Presonus
Firestudio (remote, optional). Anyone know such a thing?

> Firewire instead of USB and that is a BIG advantage and not a
> drawback. If I need more mics, I fly in my little cute peavey mixer...

There's lots of computers (laptops, PC world) which don't have firewire,
and
lots of implementations which act up. USB2 works very well on PCs, though.

> > * the perfect musicians' computer: I'd like something like
> This exist as well, the Macbook pro's fit perfectly, (though
> can't afford it...)

No, it's a laptop, and I wouldn't call that "roadworthy package".

Best,

        Rainer