RE: ZVEX Lofi and "what you don't like about your looper" thread

At 11:28 PM +0000 1/3/08, max valentino wrote:

>I was wonderin' if any of you have had much exp. with the Zvex lo-fi
>looper. I am quite intriqued with this as I really am looking for
>something of a "loose cannon" looper; something which will not
>produce pristine audio, and will, in fact, not behave in any
>predictable or prescribed way (As most fx devices will).  I do
>understand the limitations of the device...but actually find those
>somewhat "embraceable".....
>I am looking for something that, as opposed to treating a loop with
>fx, will somewhat mutate and mangle the audio which is being looped
>(in my case, bass). For Ods and such I can alwys re-sample that into
>another looping device.

Well, I know I'm one of at least a couple of people on this list who
have a Lo-Fi Loop Junky.  And, despite my earlier pointing-out of its
flaws, I really rather like it (remember: the topic is "what you
*don't* like about your looper").  It's small, it's battery-operated,
it's immediate, it's very 'what you see is what you get', and it'll
fit in your pocket on the way to a gig.  The loops sit well with
other material because of their restricted tonal range.  And the loop
will stay stored inside it until cockroaches emerge from the vast
nuclear wasteland.

That said, I have a hard time recommending it to you if you're going
to use it for Bass.  The reason being that I don't believe it'll
actually be lo-fi enough to really do what you want.

When I first got mine, I began using it on my 10-string Stick,
specifically on the Bass side.  And I was having real problems with
the Depth controls on the pitch warble.  Unless I dialed it up to
100%, I couldn't hear any effect -- and even then I could barely tell
any difference at all.  I even contacted Zachary Vex, believing that
there must be something defective with my unit.  Zach replied back
that you're actually not likely to hear the effect in any great
amount unless you're playing in the pitch range above the 12th fret
on a guitar.  It seems my unit was behaving as specced, it's just
that the Loop Junky wasn't well suited for low-end content.

So, if you take away its chorusey, demented pitch-wobble it gives,
you're really left mostly with a signal that's been cut off extremely
at the high end, and bit at the low end too.  On Bass, I've found it
sounds about the same as throwing a blanket over your cabinet, or
dialing out all the treble and bass from your amp.  But at the Bass
end, it seems to cease behaving in an "unpredictable" manner.

If that's the range of harmonic spectra you're going to be using it
on, you could probably do just as well to spend only a little money
on an EQ pedal, then just use your normal Looper, IMNSHO.  That'll
save you about $400, I believe.

Of course, if you're using it on something different, please
disregard this advice, because it can sound *really* cool on
instruments/content pitched up in the higher ranges.  Be sure to try
one out yourself before buying, though.  I'm not certain it's going
to fit your needs as you've outlined them here.

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of