Re: OT IN EAR MONITORS

On Jan 2, 2008 10:40 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
After a recent discussion with Looperlative inventor, Bob Amstadt,  I'm
seriously thinking
about investing in a pair of IN EAR MONITORS.

/snipp-e-ti-snip/

What are your experiences with this concept.   Other than
price............is there any downside to it all?

On some occasions, when playing live looping music together with other people, I have popped a pair of normal in ear iPod phones into my audio interface's phones output. This is particularly handy when I use my FireFace400 that has a hardware knob that can be set to any paramemeter, and for this use I keep that knob constantly set to the phones output level. I don't use the kind of phones that I like to listen to music with, ie phones that seal off external background noise. I'd rather use phones that still lets me hear the full high frequencies from the external (house PA or acoustic stage monitoring) audio. In this way I need just three seconds to balance my own (in ear) rig monitoring to what I hear leaking through the in ear phones.

I have been thinking of expanding this with a wireless system in the future, but I can't afford that right now. The only downside I can think of is that you look a bit dorky with those cables hanging out of your ears. And in my case, with no wireless, you can not move around much. Hmmm... forget about that last remark - you're pretty glued to your FCB1010 stage spot anyway ;-)

Although I don't use a mixer I'm never the less doing all that aux sending, feedback looping etc in the software. So I guess my tip would be useful with a physical/analog mixer too, given you simply duplicate your mixers master output through a volume control into the phones.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)