Re: recording LF

At 10:36 PM -0500 1/1/08, Ryan Reid wrote:
>I've not yet tried LF, but have had some degree of success capturing
>ultrasonics at 192khz with gear rated 20-20k... keep in mind that
>those specs usually mean +/-1 or 3 dB, not a brickwall limit. Hell,
>the Vortex is reported to only 14khz :)

You make a good point, although you should keep in mind that there
aren't too many pieces of analog equipment (and I'm talking physical
things like mics, speakers, and even cables) that can really fully
transmit frequencies above about 60khz, so 192k might be a little
overkill.  :)

Also, don't forget that it's possible for two frequencies within a
given range limit to produce frequencies outside it, and vice versa.
Frequency intermodulation causes additive and subtractive frequencies
to appear.  So it's entirely possible that this could be a part of
what you're hearing.

>I put together a small woofer mic out of an old 6" cone this week

Sweet!  I just saw a photo in one of the typical musical rags last
month, where a studio had constructed a kick drum mic out of an old
woofer from an NS-10.  Let us know how well it works!

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of