recording LF

I've not yet tried LF, but have had some degree of success capturing
ultrasonics at 192khz with gear rated 20-20k... keep in mind that
those specs usually mean +/-1 or 3 dB, not a brickwall limit. Hell,
the Vortex is reported to only 14khz :)

I put together a small woofer mic out of an old 6" cone this week and
haven't messed with it much yet, but might try some LF experiments
later. Passive lowpass filtering before recording is probably a good
idea in order to get levels tolerable. And if getting serious, it
might be smart to look into wide bandwidth scientific filters that are
known to turn up on eBay. My biggest concern is that the transformer I
put into the mic might need to be bypassed. We'll see.