RE: Powered Subs

Hi Kris,
I think the danger you refer to  would not be from the frequency itself,
but
from overdriving gain in an attempt to hear the low frequency better.  This
could result in clipping the amp that would cause serious damage to the
speaker driver (not to mention your eardrums)

If my understanding and experience are correct, the 10hz signal simply
would
not be reproduced by the 1x12, since the circuitry probably rolls off
considerably below ~70hz   I imagine the EV's (great speakers!) may have
clip protection designed in.

A rule of thumb is to have power amp that is 1.5 -2X the rating of the
speaker you are driving.    A speaker/cabinet rated at 150w/channel would
benefit from an amp rated at 200-300w/chnl.  This is to ensure plenty of
headroom for the amp so it doesn't clip.

Another point to keep in mind is that the reproduction of low frequencies
requires a lot more amplifier power.  That's why the subs often come with
400w power amps.

BagEnd www.bagend.com  makes a powered sub with integrated ELF processing,
capable of reproducing 8hz.   Click on Tech Library in the left menu, then
read about InfraSub  if you'd like a better explanation.    One of the
advantages of their design is that the cabinets are surprisingly small.
have some of their PA speakers, including an ELF sub, and can attest to the
very high quality audio - both for studio/home theater, and sound
reinforcement (which is the type I have).
-Qua