Re: If you were going to buy just one Mic...

I've never seen a Sennheiser 421 on stage for vocals, mainly because it
would look ridiculous. Those babies are BIG (and mainly used as an
upgrade for an SM57 in my experience, guitar cabs and drums).

If there's $1000 to spend, I think it'd be better to get a small range
of mics so you have some choices. Myself, I'd get the AKG1000s ($200), a
pair of professionally-matched Oktava MK-012a's from the Sound Room
($450), a couple of SM57's ($80 each) for snares, Marshall Majors and
framing windows, and put the rest towards a mic pre which will make a
world of difference in any mic unless you have a really good board.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com