Re: If you were going to buy just one Mic...

I'll chip in.

If I were to choose one mic, it wouldn't be a dynamic, although I do agree
with Andy about the Sennheiser MD421 )MKii) and there's the  MD441
(although
I haven't used one) that do cut across the dynamic/condenser boundary
well.
I like my Beyer M201, but it doesn't behave or sound anything like a
condenser.

For live use, I would generally use small diaphragm mics, I have tended to
think of my AKG C1000s as fulfilling this role (they are phantom powered
as
well as battery). ?There are also Beyer and AT equivalents. I guess the
dual
power option is useful, but I prefer to be able to fully power them from
the
desk, than under-run them).  Better still, but relatively expensive, is
the
Shure SM81 (small diaphragm condenser with pad and low cut) which I think
has a great sound for stage or studio use - I use mine in both situations.
What about the new Rode M3? it's certainly getting good reviews in Sound
On
Sound and Performing Musician and sounds like it's going to be a good
all-rounder and more flattering/brighter than the C1000.

For studio use, I guess I'd go for a large diaphragm mic that's more
costly
than my Rode NT1 and NTK - one of the Blue mics perhaps, or an AKG C414.

I guess I'd tend to think of the issues that have already been stated as
most important and that might steer you towards thinking of two mics based
around either the live/studio or vocal/instrument issues. issues like:
1. studio, live or both - robustness comes in here.
2. "true" honest reproduction or some flattery. large/small diaphragm is a
factor here.
3. price range/limit.

Good luck.