From: Ryan Reid [mailto:ryanreidfl@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 2:53 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Vortex power supply - AC, but can take DC?

Hello,

It feels a bit tacky to make my first post to the list a query. But I'm in a bit of a bind.

I purchased a Vortex, of course, without an adapter. Impulsively, I plugged in a supply I have that's 12.5VAC 2500mA - I know, stupid. But with eBay and UPS and all, there was kind of a pressure to make sure it worked. In fact, it did, and I ran it for about 10 minutes. I decided to stop there though, as the over-voltage might cause problems in the longer term.

I have already spent $100 on power supplies in the last couple of months, and so I'm trying to be as thrifty as possible. Honestly, I didn't research the Vortex PS requirement until it arrived. The best deals I've found for a pro-audio 9VAC 1000mA supply are around $20-25. In searching the archives, I found someone stated that the Vortex alone can run on DC, while its "adapter-mates" like the Jamman cannot. Can anyone confirm or contradict this? If it's true, I assume it would need a few more volts. I have tons of extra DC supplies, and can easily build a highly-filtered one, but transformers in this range are a bit pricey themselves.

Thank you, and I'll be sure to be more of a contributor than an info-leech in the future.

-R