Re: Yamaha MFC10 or Roland FC300?

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> I'm thinking about eventually getting a MIDI foot controller, mostly for
>use
> with Ableton Live.
> MFC10: Only one foot pedal.  Some people have reported latency problems;
> others have said there are none.

MFC10 has inputs for 4 more expression pedals.
The latency is about 70mS by my guess.
( confirmed by Yamaha UK tech support at about 100mS )
I actually developed a way to measure the latency accurately when beta
testing Xaviers LG controller ( recommended), but it's hardly worth it for
the Yamaha. Well, on the phone I could plainly hear the Yamaha tech guy
bashing the switches, followed by a gap, followed by some synth notes
coming out a bit later.  :-)

With Ableton, it's possible the latency won't be an issue,
as Ableton user's tend to preset their tempo.
If you're tapping in loops in live looping fashion you're better off
with a different controller.
...but cueing up loops on Ableton should be ok.

I wonder if the WX-5 would also be affected, that much delay
on your playing would be a killer. ( You just plug it into the MFC10
right??)

Actually, it was a neat thing to play tunes with the MFC10 with all that
latency, as the brain tries to compensate, then when you go back to a
regular midi keyboard it feels like the notes come out before you play
them.

Anyway, you can always make me an offer for my (hardly used) MFC10
controller + as many expression pedals as you need if you reckon the
latency won't hurt.

Otherwise,
apart from the Roland (latency not measured)

don't forget the fcb1010 by Behringer(latency<5mS), which is the best
value for money but has certain limitations as regards how many Midi
Channels it will send on.

..and the Gordius Little Giant range(latency<4mS), which isn't cheap, but
is highly recommended.

andy butler