Re: Lester Ismore - or is it not? (and things sucking creative energy etc.)

> Hi everyone,
>
> having followed the discussion for some time now, I'd like to chime in
> with
> my (rather gear-heavy) pov:

[clip]

My opinion: It's all relative what we say here. What is artistically
restricting, distracting, draining, inspiring, prohibitive, motivational,
etc, etc, etc, to one person may be the complete opposite to another. So
what we say here may be completely useful to one person, but not another.
We
can prescribe, but if it isn't consistent with the idiosyncrasies of the
individual, it's futile.

In the end, as with myself, I am the only one to blame, and therefore I
must
take responsibility for my own actions rather than complaining incessantly
and pointing fingers at the technology, instrument, industry, and so on.
You can't really blame a non-thinking object anyway...it's sort of
pointless. It has been over two months now since I have reduced my effect
usage by at least 95%, focusing only on the tone of my guitar, a handful
of
max-msp looping functions that I find interesting, a very rare uses of
max-msp or Reaktor effects, and just the creative process of associated
with
these things. I have to say, my mind and artistic vision is clearer than
it
has been in years, and I am now face-to-face with the brutal awareness
that
if I can't do anything artistically worthwhile or interesting with just
this
minimum pallet, than I'm not trying hard enough - because there are
acoustic, monophonic instrumentalist who can capture my attention, so I
have
no excuse in the larger context of things.  I create my own standards here
that quantity and quality of effects does not limit artistic expression. I
apply it only to myself. It may apply others...I'm not sure.

...just my two cents.

K-