Re: Oberheim/Gibson?

Bingo!  There are manufacturing differences between the beige and
black units (aside from software version).

This page http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/LoopIII_v5.html
writes:
Power supply variations on some units could cause slightly low
readings for Feedback, causing problems where the loop would decay
even with the know all the way up. Units had to be tested for this
problem in production and fixed before they could ship, which was
inefficient. Some units undoubtedly shipped with such a problem, and
there is the possibility of developing it as the hardware ages.
Changes have been made in software to tolerate worst case voltage
variations across all the relevant circuits. This corrects the
problem, with the tradeoff being a slight reduction in feedback
resolution at the top end of the scale. It doesn't appear to be
noticeable, and is definitely worth it for the improvement in reliability.

More notes here:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/FAQ6.html#Anchor-47383

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/FAQ6.html#Anchor-17304