Re: Re: inexpensive small true mic preamps

Hi Rick, hi everyone,

just dropped onto this thread after not reading LD since Saturday (forgot
the WiFi interface for the laptop that has the email program on it, so
only access to email via web interface, which combined with not much time,
does not invite detailed reading).

Talking about small micpres, my two suggestions would (also) be:
If you want something small and can accept mono and want "the tube sound"
(whatever that is), it's the studio project you"ve settled on. For
non-tube and slightly more expensive, it's the FRM RNP.

And yes, those cheap wannabe tube pres (like the VTB-1) use a circuit
design called "starved plate", where the tube is run at a much lower
voltage (for accelerating electrons) than intended and so is only used for
some sound couloring. If I remember correctly, with the VTB you can also
adjust the amount of tube sound added. Definitely a wise choice,
especially for its connectivity options (I also like the "tube DI mode").

I'm really looking forward to listening to your small setup on a budget in
action (or rather to listening to you that is...)

              Rainer