Re: computers suck creative energy

Don't blame just computers! Anything with a bad user interface sucks
creative energy! I have many times experienced this with music
instruments (guitars, saxophones, flutes) that were simply not good.
Unfortunately I wasn't very good and experienced at playing by that
time so it took me years to realize that the low creativity was
caused by using a bad instrument (a Catch 22 situation where you
learn in a slow and hard way). But, today I can walk into any music
store and pick the best instruments within minutes just by playing a
couple of notes and listening to them. Not to mention my EDP when I
first unpacked it and looked into the LOOp 3 manual - it was like
staring at hieroglyphs from outer space - total creativity ground
zero hit ;-))  Same when I exchanged my four-track cassette porta-
studio for an eight-track 1/4 reel-to-reel tape recorder - immediate
loss of creative flow.

What is specific with computers is that they are extremely
customizable tools. This is not true for instruments. Instruments
work and you play them. Then you get better at playing them. Making
music becomes easier with each day. You just can't compare
"computers" with playing real instruments. The only fair comparison
would be to look to "a working software looping setup on a properly
configured computer".

I would fully agree that "setting up a computer suck creative
energy"! But using it, when finally set up, that's just amazingly
creative IMHO. Never the less I'm finding the subject line
amusing ;-)) Great thread.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)