Re: Virtual Lo Fi Lazer live album shared - "computers to boost creativity" ;-)

On 28 nov 2007, at 22.47, Raul Bonell wrote:

> i see... so, what the hell swedish consider contemporary (for me,
> swedish=people living in sweden)?
> i supose that is the same in all places regarding the new music.

Here's what a dictionary says about the word "contemporary":

>> Dating from the same time. Example: "these series of paintings are
>> contemporary with other works in an earlier style.

>  so we are interested in aesthetics.

Definitely! I see no conflict about music and philosophy. To me the
act of playing music is the practical application of philosophical
theory. And the cool thing with music is that it works even if you
don't care about the theoretical view.

> also, i've attended some a priori "serious" contemporary festivals,
> where a guy hold sustained notes on an EWI, and that's all! he,he...

Ha, ha... funny point. "Serious" is a dangerous word, but I use it as
for what the word actually means. So I regard a festival or a concert
serious when the people behind it have a certain agenda except for
simply putting on a happening and gather as big audience as possible.

> but then always we come to that words that also have no meaning at
> all "musically"... now my friend and teacher markus would have said
> "could you be more specific?"

My apologizes! I didn't think I would have to define the word
"musically" on this list where mostly musicians hang out ;-)  What I
mean with "musical" is just that the music brings some sort of
statement, that the movements have well defined directions etc. In
other words: when sounds are ordered in a way that brings a meaning
to it, then it is music. If sounds are not ordered, then it is noise.

Having said all this, there is a need for a little disclaimer.
Chaotic, unordered sounds (noise) can be musical too if presented in
a certain context that invites the listener to experience it as
musical. For example, look to Eno, Cage and like-minded. In this case
the lack of order and lack of statement becomes The Statement. So I
still subscribe to my main idea that A Statement is what makes
something "musical".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)