Re: Expression Pedal - Alesis F2 Review

At 4:35 PM +0000 11/7/07, andy butler wrote:
>I took a risk and ordered 4 of these for the new Gordius Midi controller.
>Well, at only £25 I was expecting something that would work well enough,
>and be suitably light in weight.(that's about $50).
>
>Can be used as expression pedal, or swell pedal (vol controller).

I've had one of these for around a year, but have
only used it as a volume controller.

I pretty much agree with everything andy has
mentioned, and would add the following:

Likes:
Passive electronics, no battery required

Wider than your standard pedal.  I've got
larger-than-usual feet (~size 13).  You'd think
that it would be the length that would matter
more in manipulating the pedal, but the
additional width also helps give extra control if
you've got huge feet.

Travel logarithm seems more in line with the
Yamaha FC-7/FC-9 (which I love) than the Roland
EV-5.  I think it gives smoother, more
controllable swells, but that's entirely a
personal thing so YMMV.

Jacks in the front.  I like having the volume
pedal slightly offset from my other pedals (a few
inches closer to me) so that I don't bump the
other pedals while I'm rocking the volume.
Having the jacks in the front keeps things a
little tighter on my pedalboard.  Again, YMMV.

Dislikes:
Mono.  If you've got a stereo source, forget it.

>build is incredibly solid, metal chassis and pedal.
>Weighs a whole kilogram :-(

You could kill somebody with one of these things
(erm, YMMV?).  That means it's not going to move
around much onstage or go south due to structural
issues.  Conversely, I don't envy your having to
carry around four of these things, andy.

Thanks for the review!!!  :)

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the