On vs off topic -and- irritating people...

   Hi All, First off, let me apologize for my recent OT musings.
:)  Secondly, I'd like to agree with Rick in this regard, that I
*personally* feel that having a second list for 'Looper's Delight' posts
is
not only annoying but to me at least, against the nature of the list the
way it was started.  To my knowledge, this has never been simply a 'gear'
list, and God, I hope it never becomes just that.  :)  I'd be out of here
so damned fast it wouldn't even be funny!  lol!

   Unfortunately, because of the second list, and all of the 'walking on
egg shells' sort of behavior going on right now over off / on topic posts,
I feel that this is where the list seems to be heading?...  yes?...

   I'm not saying that people are necessarily intending this, but it seems
that this is starting to happen...

At the very least, the list is losing something for me.

   Now, this is fine if this is really what people are after, and I'm far
from one to be commenting as I've been out of the looping scene for a
while, and honestly, am not exactly super turned on about it at the
moment!  :)  But this sort of over-zealous (super PC) idea of monitoring
the nature of people's posting habits in essence :) (tongue / cheek) to
eliminate all 'off topic imperfection / impurity' (pick yer poison) is
just
distasteful to me personally.

   If I wanted to join a tight-assed gear forum I would have.  :)

   Now, please believe me when I say that I absolutely hate getting
barraged with a load of email chattiness every day that isn't related,
from
one msg to the next, and has nothing at all to do with any topic; I simply
don't have the time that I'm willing to spend, nor desire to deal with
such.  However, (And I say this coming from a place of posting plenty of
on
*and* off topic material!  lol!)  (1) I have a delete key and I know how
use it!  :)  (2) Even at it's worst, that's not the sort of thing that's
been going on here.

   Everyone has been really good about bringing things back on track when
they stray, and each list member who posts usually has a balance of on /
'off' topic material.  If someone doesn't bring a topic in a direction
that
someone else likes, that someone may say something.  Then, the topic may
change.  If more people want to hear the topic the way it was, then it
won't.  The community monitors itself, whether that happens within a
poster
or within several, but it *does* happen, and has done such for as long as
I've been a member here.  That's the nature of a self-regulating
community!  Yes?...

   Was this not how the list was started?...

   So now, once again, I personally would rather have the LD OT posts go
this list, but as my point above works both ways, I also do understand if
majority of people would rather this not be the case.  And obviously, as I
myself have mentioned, if people want another list, then guess what not
only is it already there, lol! but it's their choice!  :)

   However, I would wonder if it might not be appropriate to either (1)
have it not be affiliated with LD? (and have it be it's own general chat
list) (2) have it be more closely affiliated with LD, so it would be
easier
to integrate both lists?...  I.E. be hosted on the same list serve and be
up on the LD site etc...  -Any thoughts?...

Also, might it simply be possible, rather than having another list for OT
posts, might we instead, have the other list to host gear-only
posts?...  -Or, in essence have that more rigorous topic moderation
approach be realized there, rather than here on LD?...

   Otherwise, I think it would be easier to have one list as has been
successful so far to the huge degree that LD has?...

I personally enjoy the evolution of topics here, not because I enjoy the
volume of email!  lol!  -because God knows I don't!  I've actually left
the
list several times for just that reason, but the intellect / creativity
here really is something special, and that really comes through in so much
of what gets posted here, as it transmutes from one line of thinking to
another...  Does this make sense?...

Fragmenting this gradual evolution, by separating it into two exclusive
venues, is similar to never having the option to gracefully move between
elements of a story or performance, in favor of simply turning off one
idea
and beginning another immediately, or instantly bringing it in from
another
source...  Does this make sense?...
   It can be very jarring, and is not a gradual fade!...  :)  lol!...

I'm definitely in favor of people trying to be aware of others needs /
desires in their email habits, so do hope that the 'OT' material can be
manageable, but I sooo don't want to see the fire leave this
list!  -Because, whether I myself go or stay, *that* is a *sure* way for
me
to leave as well...

I hope all this made sense and I truly appreciate your time in reading
it!  :)  Have an awesome day / evening, wherever you may be!...

Smiles,

                 Cara :)

                         ---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn