From: Per Boysen [mailto:perboysen@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:13 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Posting my looping rig's specifications

Hi everyone,

Since many of us are going to meet at the upcoming festival I'd like
to post the specifications of my looper online, because I can think
of a lot more interesting things that I'd like to to talk about when
meeting everyone IRL :-)

When using a highly configurable software looper like Mobius it's not
as easily described as simply giving the brand of a preferred
hardware looper. I think Mobius is the best looper available because
it is so configurable. At the same time I'm hearing complains about
Mobius, coming from new users that wants it to be "easier", which in
my ears translates into "less configurable" and in my worst
nightmares as "dumbed down" ;-)  I'm hoping Mobius will continue to
be an open system that a user can configure according to his own
ideas in order to explore new directions in looping.

The setup is basically very simple:
- Audio input,
- EQ rolling off bass and lifting treble,
- 16 alternative effect chains to play through,
- The Mobius looper,
- EQ rolling off bass,
- Stereo compression,
- Audio output.

I have taken three screen-shots for illustration. This one shows the
concert setup:
http://www.looproom.com/concert.jpg
and here's the concert setup with EQ settings visible:
http://www.looproom.com/concert_eq.jpg

The reason I cut out bass at the input is that I'm creating bass
lines by pitching down loops I record. The signal would be way too
boomy for summing into loop layers if I didn't do this. The reason I
cut out sub bass after summing all loops into a stereo signal is that
this makes the output stage compressor dynamically work in a nice
way. If letting sub bass into the compressor even frequencies that
are too low for the PA to play back would affect the rest of the
sounding material in a bad way (would sound "flickery" instead of a
steady groove). Balancing frequencies through all effect treatments
into the final compression is also about balancing all this against
the live audio input. The FireFace400 allows me to fine-tune all
three live audio inputs I'm using to control the compression of the
entire mix by my live playing input.

The third screenshot is the recording setup. It's exactly the same as
the concert setup but without the final compressing and also
outputting Mobius track's as separate channels to be recorded
separately:
http://www.looproom.com/recording.jpg

I hope someone may find inspiration in reading this (I know I would
myself, some years back).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)