RE: (Kinda OT) Keyboards (Sometimes Studio sometimes live)

Hi Duncan,
I have used many different synths. If you're looking for an allround synth, I would recommend a "rompler" type, examples are:

Korg: Triton series, X-series, (TR is a light weigth Triton spin-off)
Roland: Fantom series
Yamaha: Motif or S series

The technical differences between all the different models are
- build quality => especially the keyboard
- Internal wave ROM
- Effect engine
- polyphony (32,64,128)
- sampling option Yes/No

If you're not going to program your own sounds, keep in mind that you
1) can only use the factory presets or
2) buy sounds and load them into the synth

I owned a Triton and Fantom in the past, and I'm now using a Yamaha S90-ES 90 (= Motif ES). In terms of ease of use, the Fantom is a good choice. You can also plugin special SRX cards with excellent Strings (= SRX-06) and World sounds (= SRX-09). I owned the World card, it's the best sample card I've ever heard.

http://www.rolandus.com/productsearch/default.aspx?SearchTerm=srx

Best tip: go to a music store and play on the different models :)

Regards,
Sjaak