Re: Boss DD-20 sos

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Kevin Cheli-Colando wrote:

> As an owner of a DD20 who has not entirely warmed to it yet, I have
> to ask this question.  How do you manage to freeze a loop at 100%
> feedback and then solo or play over it without incorporating it
> back into the loop if you want to open it up again and add more to
> it later?

Save adjacent presets with a delay of, for example 8 sec. and a
feedback setting of 3 o'clock.  Start adding audio.  When you want to
freeze the loop, turn the feedback knob all the way up and hit the
on/ off pedal - your loop keeps playing while you solo over top
without affecting the "loop".  You can tap the on / off pedal to go
back to adding stuff to the loop, make adjustments to the feedback
knob to fade or morph the loop (add stuff while fading etc.).  Now,
while this one is fading move to the next patch (another saved preset
with a set delay time) and add to this one while the one you just
left is fading away.

> I know you can set up a loop and advance forward and then play in
> another bank but I was under the impression that the first loop was
> then locked with whatever settings it had when you moved on.

Yes - so it's important to keep that in mind when creating and
morphing from loop 1 to loop 2.  As an example:  if you want to start
playing with textures and plan to move to a rythmic loop you may want
to set the feedback knob on the first loop to allow for a slow fade,
advance to the next patch (while bypassed), bring in a rhythmic
pattern via volume pedal while loop 1 fades.  When up to volume with
rhythmic pattern hit the on /off pedal to start building your
rhythmic loop.  Note: if you save your presets with a max delay time
(23sec.) and use an fs5u pedal to tap your delay time, it should give
you time to capture your rythmic pattern providing it's under 23
sec.  Also, use of a volume pedal aids in morphing/ building loops. -
Paul