Re: Tempo (Re: Drum MACHINES)

How about tempo?  Seems a default tempo on sequencers/metronomes is 100-120 bpm.  Does this have some correlation to the human pulse or something?

Not mine, that's for sure ;-)  I like lower tempi, as 60-90 bpm, so that you may also play in "double tempo". This is the dub and drum-n-bass idiom.

The reason that 120bpm is the default is that it was decided that it is roughly the heart rate of a 'normal' person  engaging in moderate physical activity (ie dancing).

I can't remember how I know this- I remember being told by someone who was in the know at some point in the past- blame my years of clubbing and attendant recreational pharmaceutical habits for this lapse in ...um...
... er...
... what was I talking about again?

Regards,

Jim Richmond