From: Matt Davignon [mailto:mattdavignon@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 3:31 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Drum machines

A cheap trick:

One of the reasons that drum machines sound so canned is that you're
listening to the same sample over and over again, without the
variation you get in real drums. So you need to add something that's
going to make it vary a little. Personally, I like adding a downward
pitch bend of at least a 5th. That mucks up the sound a pleasurable
amount. Creative compression works too.

Speaking of drum loops, a friend forwarded me this great educational
video about the Amen Break (the most commonly used drum loop in
popular music). I knew it was used in a lot of music, but I only knew
a fraction of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com