Re: RME Fireface 400 and Guitar Hi-Z inputs

Kris - you'll get plenty of more-well-informed answers, I'm sure.  But in the simple way that I understand it, hi-z refers to the high impedance value of the input.  Matching impedance with an audio connection is important in order to get the best s/n ratio.  A guitar's instrument-level signal is also a high impedance signal, and if you plug it into a jack designed *exclusively* for line level signals - you'll have a mismatch resulting in noise and/or bad signal degradation.

A lot of devices now have inputs that claim to "adjust" impedance based on what's plugged in (and perhaps a switch setting on the device somewhere).

Regardless, in my experience you will lose a lot of high end *and* low end if you plug a hi-z instrument into a low-z input.  Sounds icky. :(

Doug

So what will a hi-z give me that will make any audible difference, from the line input of the FW 400 adjusted to the correct level on my guitar?

Kris