Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promo material? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial

On 18 sep 2007, at 16.55, Krispen Hartung wrote:
> Hmmm..., not sure. Because he drinks too much caffeinated tea? :)
> Better yet, so he can keep up when he playes with Joey Defrancesco.

I remember reading a Guitar Player Mag interview with McLaughlin
somwhere around 1980 where he was talking about the discipline in
Indian music to practice timing measures as 10 beats against 11 and
stuff like that. I just thought he was way over the top, but today I
understand that you can achieve a natural feel for any odd rhythm, as
most people have for 4/4 or 3/4. Lately I have been having a lot of
fun with 7/8 and 5/4, which are rather basic compared to the Indian
way ;-)  but I have experienced that the more time you spend
improvising according to an odd rhythm the less "odd" it feels. Until
it becomes part of your musical "inner radar" as simply natural. To
me this experience strengthens my belief that the ability to make
music (to "shred" in a meaningful way) is not coming out of technical
playing skills but rather as the fruit of your musical imagination.
"Chops" being just the starting point as part of the toolbox.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)