Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promo material? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial

> I always liked what Vai did with Zappa, but this seemed so INCREDIBLY
> vapid and indulgent, ascending scales going nowhere, seemingly random
> keys...it was as if I was hearing it with true perspective, with the
> "shredded" videos pointing out that if one isn't impressed by the odd
> sounds and rapid-fire notes, these axe-slingers can appear really
> ridiculous, if the musicality of the music isn't necessarily strong
>enough
> to overcome the poses. I didn't really think I'd be gaining insight from
> laughing my ass off, but these things do work mysteriously..

As an ex-80's axe slinger who, at the age of 19, practiced the guitar 6
hours a day and mastered licks, scales, and arpeggios from the likes of
Malmsteen, Ronnie LeTekro, Paul Gilbert, Tony Macalpine, etc, I can poke
fun
at myself and say that was a most ridiculous, though totally fun time of
my
music history. Only one thing good came out of that era for me, namely the
physical chops and dexterity to eventually learn and play jazz...not that
you need to play that fast in jazz, unless you are DiMiola, McLaughlin,
etc,
but the intense workout, both left and right hand, from 80's guitar
shredding, most definitely laid a foundation for me to express myself in a
more articulate way today.

...it was a fun time, though, I'll say that.  Lots of good stories to
share...

Malmsteen has always seemed like the most bombastic jack-ass of all the
axe
slingers to me. I once read a interview in some magazine, between he, and
John McLaughlin. I finished that interview thinking that this guy was a
total ego-maniac idiot, with no clue as to what making good music is all
about. I'm surprised John didn't just ream him a new ass-hole, except that
he was being is normal British, polite (yet subtly insulting self)...so
subtle that everything probably went over coke addict Malmsteems head. I
was
embarrassed for him. At one point in the interview, he claimed that he
thought there wasn't anything that he couldn't do on the guitar. Clueless.
I'm happy to say that I've long since forgotten all those Malmsteen runs,
and that I'd just like to see half of these shreaders try what they do on
totally clean sound, with no massive gain or distortation  to back them up

I did like Vai on Crossroads however...playing as the devil's guitar
player...I love that scene where he gets pissed off and drops the guitar
on
the stage, after shaking the guitar upside down with only the tremelo bar.
Wonderful.  I heard he played all the parts on that movie?

Kris