Re: OT: Ableton xp to mac

On 16 sep 2007, at 01.59, Raul Bonell wrote:

> hi there!
>
> quite possibly some of you had to deal with this before...
>
> how easy/difficult is to port a windows live saved  project to
> macworld live or viceversa?
>
> raul.

Not difficult at all (if you mean "open" the project, that is.
"Porting" is something the developer of the application does to the
code). The Windows and Mac version of Live are exactly the same
(except for the extra MIDI channels built into the OS X, that also
appear at Live's MIDI in and output slots on a Mac).

You may not even need to save it as a project. Saving as a new set
under a new name is usually sufficient. Recorded audio files will be
copied into the "Recorded" folder of the new set. Quoting the manual:

>> In Live, there is no need to manually create Projects, as they are
>> automatically built for you.
>> When you save a Live Set under a new name or in a new folder
>> location, Live will create a
>> new project folder and store the Live Set there
>> existing Live Project.

If you are planning to open the set on another computer that doesn't
have the same Live Sample Library you may use "Collect All And Save".
Quoting the manual:

> The File menu's Collect All and Save command is a shortcut that
> collects and saves all
> external samples referenced by the current Set, including those
> from the Library. Note
> that this can cause a lot of copying, especially when the Library
> contains large multisample
> collections!

Over here I use the same hard drives for Mac and Windows, so I just
move the firewire drive between Mac and Windows boxes and work on the
Live Sets from the system most suitable at the moment. But in order
to make that possible you need to extend your Windows boxes with a
little application called MacDrive. MacDrive enables Window to read
OS X formatted drives. This saves me a lot of working time because OS
X formatted drives do not get fragmented as NTSF and FAT does, given
you use them on a Mac now and then (OS X defrags automatically when
leaving the computer on overnight).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)