Re: Prerecordedmaterial

In a message dated 9/14/2007 10:55:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, midifriedchicken@comcast.net writes:
Of course it all depends on the genre and audience. To me, its all the same. In my electronica gig, I try to blur the lines between DJ and Performing Musician. The audience wants the music to sound good. Period. If I need to have several parts layed out to serve the music, so be it. I could, and have played everything live. Its a lot of work and the arrangments tend to resemble one another as a result.

A lot of looping that I hear, is really more about the manipulation of sound then the actual playing of the instrument. The notes played on the guitar are really just a starting point. Delays, filters, and the looper itself are the stars of the show.

So the natural extension of that is to use anything and everything at your disposal. The audience doesn't care. Maybe the calssic rock guitar player in the back of the room will sneer and dismiss me as being fake, but I couldn't give a shit about him. My audience is just trying to blow off some steam after a long week. The bass line I recorded on wednesday and added all sorts of clip envelopes will sound way better then the bass line I could play live. Melodies, solos, and other flavors are done live and are never the same. Plus with Lives Follow actions, you can have as much or as little randomness as you like.

Whatever serves the music. Ego be damned.

MFC
I agree. Currently I am working on hitting a happy medium between what I call improv platforms or environments (prerecorded) and what is played live by myself and one other musician. We are seeking to achieve what we call "The Miles Effect". After all, Miles was the master of this approach. It's easy to go out make a bunch of noise, but problem is, that is not what people want to hear. Even the adventurous listeners get bored of the chaotic monotony after a short while.

I too am a BIG fan of "follow actions". What I wish is that each scene launch control had programmable follow actions that could be over ridden by individual clip follow actions. Can you imagine this? As your scenes launched they would be activating all the unassigned (no follow actions) clips by scene, independent of the grouped clips responding to their typical programmed follow actions. This would allow you to program an exact (or random) start to finish song/rhythm structure completely independent of the clips with typical pre programmed follow actions within that structure. Now that would be cool!

When it all comes down to the bottom line concerning prerecorded and live material, I want what I hear during the performance to please me. If it does, I know I am pleasing a majority of those listening.

DrXPM