Re: Most programmable midi foot controller

the FCB1010 has been a great pedal for me.
i've used one for almost 5 years, although i had to replace it last year when i accidentally blew it up (european power + no coffee that morning)
i had the occasional problem with junk midi messages (i.e. messages being sent that are not programmed - i caught these in my midi monitoring app). but after getting a new eprom from behringer, those issues disappeared.

their manual is hard to understand, but user groups have spawned as a result.
one confusing thing is the way behringer and people talk about SWITCHES and BUTTONS.

- this i how i think of it: each patch (a patch being all the messages contained in a single button press) is made up of activated switches
- the possible switches in a patch are: 1 midi note, 5 program changes, 2 controller changes, 2 expression
- so, in other words, you can send, all at once, in a single press of a button: 1 midi note + 5 program changes + 2 controller changes + whatever each expression pedal is set to (i don't use the pedals)
- each of those switches can send midi messages on a different channel, so you can talk to a bunch of devices simultaneously
- and if you have, what is it, 10 banks with 10 buttons each... then that is er, 100 possible midi notes, 500 possible PC messages, etc...

hope i didn't get anything wrong there...

so some limitations are:
- since there is only 1 midi note switch, that means you can send notes to only one device.
- with 2 CC switches, you can send to 2 different devices.
-(well you can send wherever you like, but obvious chaos would result if everything was on the same channel!)

so if you have multiple devices to control and they ONLY respond to midi note commands (?), then you're out of luck (UNLESS one of those devices is on a computer...because you could use a conversion app like midipipe to change PC message on a channel to note messages). but i don't have devices like that.

i talk to my electrix repeaters with PC and CC messages and the computer with Notes.

is that too much information???

-zoe