RE: circus animals

I recently played some jazz trio gigs in NYC, and a bunch of my oldest
friends showed up (surprisingly, all on the same night). Because they were
pretty good friends, they had all been exposed to my "experimental" music a
fair amount over the years, but, upon reflection I realized that no-one had
heard any of my other musical sides for quite a while (as I spent most of
my
adult life on the other side of the country). After the jazz gig, several
of
them came up and said, "Hey, you're good!" as if it were a surprise. Kind
of
makes you think...