Re: OT: goodbye Joe Zawinul

> Sad about Joe. I bought a used WR cd?a few?weekends ago, "Night
> Passage." I haven't thought about or listened to WR in quite a
That's a great album, especially the live tracks. "Port of Entry" and "Madagascar". Jaco's playing on "Port of Entry" is AMAZING.

I like the way they are interacting on "Madagascar". I always wondered how much of it was worked out. There are clearly some parts where there is a rehearsed structure, but on other parts it is very sparse and you get the feeling they are just doing a collective improvisation. It's amazing how much taste and restraint they are all showing, the way they keep from stepping on each other's toes. Jaco could blow your mind with a million notes, play a beautiful melody, tastefully support someone else, or playing incredibly cool walking bass lines.

And Zawinul on those tracks is doing his usual painting the colors and creating a great atmosphere. Wow.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net