RE: Prerecordedmaterial

I had a strange experience playing with a long time collaborator a while
back.  We play very abstract atmospheric space music (sort of) with me
on guitar and my friend on keyboards.  At one point while we were
playing I looked up and found that he had started playing a previous jam
we had had earlier and playing on top of that.  At first I was sort of
upset, 'what a cop out' and all that but then when I started thinking
about it it seemed to me that this was really not very different than
his loading any other sample or patch and playing to that, it was still
a live choice in the music.  So I have no problem with pre-recorded bits
now.

BUT, I only like them if they are played spontaneously as yet another
part of the overall sound.  For me there has to still be a random
element to it.  If a prerecorded loop or sample is used where people
have to play to the sample then I'm really not so happy with it.  But if
the pre-recorded material is played as yet another live element where
anything can happen along with that sample then I'm all for it.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org