Re: Who uses "looping" in their promo material?

Krispen,
you talk about quite a few points, and at times I don't get what your
question was (ah yep, it's who uses "looping" in their promo material all
right). So just a few unsorted comments.
What is looping? is it a style? is it not?
This question starts off with some very philosophical questions, part of
which we've already treated here in a slightly different context asking
"are effects an instrument?". And following the result of this discussion,
I see looping (or rather the looper) as something of an in-between of an
effect (i.e. something you use to modify stuff which you've put from
thought to sound using another tool - like a guitar) and an instrument.
And if you stay with the instrument comparison, I'd like to make the
comparison with a trapset: for some loopers, the looper is as important in
his "meta-instrument" (consisting of his actual instrument, the looper and
the other effects) as the snare drum while for others it plays the role of
the ship's bell.
Sooo...looping is one of the many tools in your toolbox for creating sound
(just like the guitar or the ring modulator), and if it is one of the more
important elements, you should mention it, just like somebody might
mention that he is a guitarist.
Looping is not a style or a fixed set of style, although it lends itself
to some styles and the use of (realtime or prerecorded) loops is a central
element in many styles (as using an electric guitar is for heavy metal).
Using the word "looping" in promo material
Always use in your promo material what will boost your sales the most.
This does not have anything to do whether you consider yourself a looping
artist or if you actually master looping or if it's important to your
work. If it will boost sales - mention it! Will mention of looping boost
sales? I don't know.
Attachment to the looping community
I don't see how this should affect how you see yourself or if it should
effect your use of the "L" word in promo material. Give credit where due
(see e.g. my website or my video interview), but I wouldn't stress this
issue too much. I don't call myself a gearslut in my promo material,
either.
How the industry perceives LD and its input
I can think of a few products that took input from LD: the EDP (most
complex "vintage" HW looper), Looperlative (most complex current HW
looper), Mobius (most complex SW looper/Windows platform) and AugustusLoop
(most complex SW looper/Mac platform). It seemed to me that in the early
days, so did the Repeater project (I had a few deep discussions with their
lead engineer, and it's funny to see that obviously all of my wishes from
way before the release of the Repeater finally made their way into
software 2.0).
Is the industry recognizing us for our accomplishments? Let me play
devil's advocate and ask: what are (from the industry's pov) are exactly
our accomplishments?