Re: Last Night's Performance Recording & Notes - Boise State University Amphitheater

That probably wasn't a clear statement. I meant that I enjoy playing atonal music, but when I put my instrument down and I'm acting as a listener, I don't typically enjoy listening to atonal music other than as reference (to study, compare, etc). So, what I listen to and what I play are often two different things. When I work at the office, I like to listen to ambient music or new age, because it relaxes me or allows me to focus on other things.   When I listen to the music I like to play, it excites the intellectual/analytical part of my brain too much and is too taxing. But ambient music is easy for me to sit back and just enjoy it for what it is because there are often no distractions of virtuosity or overt chops standing out (any instrument).

I don't think this is that infrequent amongst artists. I've met many other artists who had similar listening habits.

Kris

I would prefer to play the really extreme atonal music, and not listen to it.

why?