linking computers together (Re: Alternative to a laptop?)

On 4 sep 2007, at 00.40, midifriedchicken@comcast.net wrote:

> Isnt there a way to link 2 computers together to utilize the cpu of
> both? I seem to remember when the G5's first came out, the
> University of Wherever linked like 100 G5s to create a
> supercomputer. I also think Macworld did an article on linking to
> laptops. If possible, that would fix a lot of issues. You culd use
> a Powerbook and have a Mini Mac as added CPU power. I think you
> have to use an ethernet connection, but isnt this possible?
>
> MFC

Yes, it's possible. However, since audio processing is timing
critical the particular application must support it. One example is
the  DAW application Logic where you can simply chain as many Macs as
you have around into a "node system". One is the master, where you
process audio in Logic Pro and all others run the Logic Node
application. On every track in Logic you can chose to activate "node
support" to let the system decide if eventually distribute some CPU
demanding parts to some of the node computers. Of course something
like this is not possible with a real-time live input. In Logic it
works because it's an application for producing recorded music and
every piece of audio is already recorded to an audio file or
programmed as MIDI or automation data. So the "master Logic" knows
what will come up in next second and can plan the multiple CPU
utilization and distribution of work as a "look ahead" process.

Another system is OSC. As far as I know OSC doesn't distribute CPU
tasks but rather synchronizes computers. I have not used OSC yet
myself, only read about it in the Bidule documentation.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)